Mushroom Stuffing Balls
Just 45 minutes to create the perfect accompaniment for any roast.
- 500g good quality sausage meat
- 300g mushrooms - finely chopped (a mixture is good, i.e button, oyster, chestnut)
- 1 onion - finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- Small bunch of parsley - finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 50g butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Generous handful of breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C, Fan 180°C, Gas Mark 6
- Put a pan on a low to medium heat and add the oil and butter. Gently fry off the onion and garlic for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the mushrooms and fry for a further 5-10 minutes, seasoning well and adding a touch of water if it dries too quickly.
- Take off the heat and allow to cool.
- Put the sausage meat, egg and parsley into a bowl and add the cooked onion and mushroom mix. Mix together well and season again.
- With wet hands, roll the mix into 1½ inch balls. If they are not holding well, throw in the breadcrumbs and combine until the mixture is firm.
- Lightly oil a baking tray and place the balls onto it. They are ready to go into the oven and take 30 minutes to cook.