Sprouts with Bacon & Chestnuts
A classic combination and an essential for Christmas dinner!
- 700g Brussel sprouts
- 2 tablespoons of chestnuts
- 1 small onion sliced
- 4 rashers of bacon, preferably dry cured, cut into thin strips
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil
- If the chestnuts are not already prepared, peel and roast them for 15 minutes at 180oC, 160oC Fan, Gas Mark 4.
- Cover the sprouts with cold water, add a teaspoon of salt to the water and bring to the boil, cook for 3 mins once boiling.
- Take off the heat and immediately refresh in cold water.
- Drain and cut the sprouts in half.
- Meanwhile warm a wok or large frying pan on a medium heat with a dash of vegetable oil.
- Add the bacon and fry off for 2 to 3 mins or until crisp. Then place on absorbent paper to absorb fat.
- Clean the wok and warm on a medium heat with a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add the onions and sweat off for 3 minutes. Add a dash of water if needed.
- After 3 minutes add in the sprouts, chestnuts and bacon and fry for another 3 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.