Whole Roast Guinea Fowl with Roasted Root Vegetables
A simple but tasty supper for a cosy night in. Great served with sourdough for mopping up the pan juices.
- 200g new potatoes, cleaned and halved
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 large carrot, peeled, quartered and cut into 5cm lengths
- 1 medium parsnip, peeled and quartered
- 1 bulb of garlic, cut in half horizontally
- Salt and black pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Gressingham guinea fowl
- A few sprigs of thyme
- 200ml boiling water
- 250g green beans, topped and tailed
- Preheat the oven to 180°c or 160°c fan.
- Place all the prepared vegetables (except the green beans) and the garlic in a deep sided roasting dish. Season well, pour over the olive oil and mix everything together.
- Season the guinea fowl and place it on top of the vegetables. Scatter the thyme over the top and pour the water into the dish. Cover with foil and place in the preheated oven to roast.
- After 1 hour, remove the foil, adjust the oven temperature to 200°c and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Use the remaining time to cook the beans. Simmer the green beans in salted boiling water for 4 minutes, then drain.
- Take the roasting dish out of the oven and remove the foil. Transfer the guinea fowl to a plate for carving, then stir the beans into the other vegetables and pile them into a dish. Your meal is now ready to serve. Place everything in the middle of the table for your guests to share.