Warm partridge salad with potato galettes, sticky shallots and toasted walnuts
- 1 pack of Gressingham partridge breasts
- 200g finely grated potato
- 30g of melted butter
- 20 small shallots, peeled
- 10g butter
- 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 150g walnuts slightly toasted
- 125g of washed soft salad leaves such as lamb lettuce and butterhead
- ½ tbsp walnut oil
- 2 tbsp of rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- Start by roasting the shallots. Place the shallots, butter and sherry vinegar and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper in a sheet of tin foil. Wrap completely and bake in a preheated oven 400°F/200°C/gas 6 for 30 minutes.
- For the potato galettes, place the grated potato into a clean tea towel and squeeze to get rid of all the moisture. Squeeze as much as you can as you want this to be as dry as possible. Place in a bowl and season with sea salt and black pepper and add the melted butter. Give this a good stir.
- Butter a baking tray lightly and take a tablespoon of the potato and place on the baking tray and with the back of the spoon spread the mixture out trying to keep it as circular as possible to about 2 mm.
- Repeat until you have about 12 galettes. Place in a preheated oven and cook for ten minutes turning them half way so that they are golden on both side. Once these are golden and crisp, just leave to one side.
- Take a small non stick pan and place the walnuts over a moderate heat to gently toast, this should take about 5 – 10 minutes, leave to one side.
- Take the walnut oil, rapeseed oil and white wine vinegar and place into a jug and whisk well together to make the dressing.
- Use the same non stick pan for the walnuts and put onto a medium heat and add a little rapeseed oil and heat the pan ready to sauté the partridge breasts. Season the breasts with a little sea salt and black pepper and carefully place into the pan and sauté for 3 mins on each side.
- Once the partridge breast are cooked you can now assemble the salad. Place a handful of mixed salad leaves into the middle of each plate and dress with a little of the dressing. Scatter the walnuts around the edge, then add 3 of the potato galettes overlapping each other. Add the partridge breast on top of the galettes, add the shallots around the plate and pour any of the juices from the them over the partridge.
- Season slightly and add a little more dressing.