Roast turkey with a chilli, sage and clementine butter
A delicious recipe to keep your turkey moist this Christmas.
- Gressingham Free Range Bronze Turkey
- 250g softened butter
- 1 large red chilli, deseeded and finely diced
- 12 sage leaves, finely shredded
- 2 garlic cloves
- Zest and juice of 2 clementines
- The day before cooking you can prepare the butter by adding the softened butter to a large mixing bowl and beating in the chilli, sage, garlic, clementine juice and zest.
- Transfer the butter onto a sheet of baking parchment and roll into a log shape, set it in the fridge until firm. When preparing your roast turkey you can then cut slices of the butter to lay under the turkey skin before cooking and then baste your bird with the butter as and when needed.
- To cook the turkey, preheat oven to 200oC, Fan 180oC, Gas Mark 6. Remove from packaging.
- Remove giblets and weigh the bird to calculate cook time - 20 mins per kg + 70 minutes.
- Cut the butter into slices and lay under the skin of the turkey, place the turkey into a deep roasting tray and add 500ml of water around the bird.
- Cook in the centre of the oven for 45 minutes then baste the turkey and reduce the oven temperature to 160oC, Fan 140oC, Gas Mark 3.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and check the turkey is piping hot throughout and the juices run clear.
- Cover with foil and rest for 30 minutes before carving.