One pot duck, cider and orange casserole
This recipe can also be made in a slow cooker following the same method. We like the fact that once the initial work is done you can leave alone and let the magic happen.
- 2 Gressingham duck legs
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 1 orange, cut into wedges
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, flattened
- 1 bulb fennel, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 10 new potatoes
- 330 ml cider
- 500 ml chicken stock
- Few sprigs thyme
- Pre heat oven to 160c , Fan 180, Gas Mark 4.
- Dry the duck legs with kitchen paper. Place an oven proof casserole dish on medium heat with the vegetable oil and brown off the duck legs on both sides. Drain off any fat . Add in all the dry ingredients and season generously. Pour in the cider and stock and bring to the boil. Cover and place in the oven for approx 1 hr 15 to 1 hr 30 mins.
- Check the duck is tender by piercing with a skewer. Return to the oven if not ready.
- Once cooked remove from the oven and allow to stand for 10 mins.
- Carefully place in the middle of the table and serve with bread.