Festive Pulled Duck Wreath
A beautiful recipe for any dinner party.
- 1 whole Gressingham duck
- ½ pint cider
- ¼ pint cider vinegar
- 1 bulb garlic, broken into cloves then crushed.
- A selection of salad leaves
- 1 pomegranate – seeds removed
- 1 small bunch of red grapes
- Handful of dried whole cranberries
For the rub
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground black/white pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp whole grain mustard
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C, Fan 170°C, Gas Mark 5.
- Mix all the rub ingredients together
- Take 2/3 of the rub and rub onto the inside and outside of the duck.
- Place into a deep roasting tray; pour in the cider and the vinegar. Cover with foil and place into the oven for 1¼ hours.
- After 1¼ hours reduce the temperature to 150°C, Fan 130°C, Gas Mark 2. Continue to cook for 1hr.
- The increase the heat to 200°C, Fan 180°C, Gas Mark 6, remove the foil and cook for 10 minutes to crisp up.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the ‘wreath’. Place a large plate on the surface you are serving from. Shape the leaves around the plate and scatter the pomegranates, grapes and cranberries over the leaves. Remove the plate to reveal the ‘wreath’.
- Using two forks, shred or ‘pull’ the duck and place the pulled meat in the middle of the wreath, where the plate has been. Sprinkle some, or all, of the remaining rub onto the duck.
- Serve with bread baps and slaw.