Festive roast duck with duck fat potatoes
Try duck this year as a delicious alternative to turkey,
- 1 whole Gressingham Duck
- 25g duck fat
- 1.5 kg large Maris piper potatoes, peeled and cut into a good eating size
- 3 sprigs rosemary
- Salt and white pepper
For the duck
- Preheat your oven to 200°C, Fan 180°C, Gas Mark 6 and remove all packaging.
- If included, take the giblets out of the body cavity (they’re useful for making stock).
- Place on a rack in a roasting tin, prick the skin all over and season.
- Roast in the middle of the oven for 40 minutes per 1kg, plus an extra 20 minutes. (while the duck is cooking prepare the potatoes using instructions below)
- Rest the duck for 10-20 minutes, this retains more of the juices for a more succulent meat. Carve and enjoy.
- All cooking appliances vary. This is a guide only. Warning: Contains bones.
For the potatoes
- While the duck is cooking, cover the potatoes with cold water in a large saucepan. Add 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Bring to the boil and cook for further 10 mins. Drain.
- Meanwhile decant the duck fat into a large baking tray and place into the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the baking tray from the oven and carefully place the potatoes into the fat. Lightly season with salt and white pepper. Add the rosemary and place back into the oven.
- Cook for 35 - 45 mins until the potatoes are a crisp golden brown colour.
- Remove from the oven, carefully drain off the fat (save it for next time) and serve.