Whole roast duck with truffle mushrooms and spiced red jus
The addition of truffle oil gives this dish a delightful indulgence
For the duck
- 1 whole Gressingham duck (approx 2.5kg)
- 2 onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 garlic bulb, cut in half
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 tbsp light olive oil
- 4 large or 8 medium field mushrooms
- 2 tbsp truffle oil
For the spiced red wine jus
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 175ml good red wine
- 175ml port
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 sprig thyme
- 800ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Preheat the oven 200oC, Fan 180oC, Gas Mark 6.
- Remove the giblets from the duck (if included) and weigh to calculate the roasting time. It will need 20 minutes per 500g plus an additional 10 minutes.
- Pat the skin dry with kitchen paper and prick with a fork. Season well and place the two halves of the garlic bulb in the cavity. Place the celery, carrot, 2 onions and rosemary in a large deep-sided roasting tray and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the oil over and put the duck on top. Place in the oven.
- While the duck is cooking put the oil in a pan on a low to medium heat and sweat off the remaining chopped onions until they soften and begin to caramelise. Add the allspice and nutmeg and cook for 10 minutes on a low heat adding a dash of water if drying out. Add the port, wine and herbs, bring to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer until the liquid has reduced by half. Pour in the stock and reduce by half again. Carefully pass the liquid through a sieve into a new pan and once again bring to a boil. Take off heat. Check for seasoning, whisk in the sugar and butter.
- Approx 30 minutes before the end of cooking time, carefully add the mushrooms to the roasting tray and use the juices to baste the mushrooms. When the duck is cooked remove from the oven and rest in a warm place for 30 minutes before carving. Drizzle the truffle oil all over mushrooms and the duck.
- Carve the duck, share out the truffle mushrooms and serve with roast potatoes and seasonal vegetables,