Vietnamese Table Salad with Roast Poussin
This sharing dish is popular, easy to pull together and healthy. We’ve used roast poussin but it’s equally delicious with duck, chicken or fish. You can also mix and match other salad ingredients.
- 2 whole poussin
- 1 chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tsp peeled and finely chopped root ginger
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
For the salad
- 2 gem lettuces, leaves separated and washed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
- 2 red chillies, thinly sliced
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 100g rice vermicelli noodles, cooked
- Small bunch of fresh mint
- Small bunch of fresh coriander
- Rice paper pancakes (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°c or 180°c. Combine the chilli, ginger, lime juice, garlic, sugar and light olive oil in a bowl then mix well.
- Pat the poussin dry with paper towels. Season well with salt and pepper inside and out then place the birds into a roasting tray. Spread the chilli and ginger marinade all over the birds and then put them in the preheated oven to roast for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the salad ingredients and lay everything out in the middle of your table. The idea is to have everything in little bowls so people can pick and choose what to include. Sweet chilli sauce is also a good accompaniment here.
- Once you have roasted your birds, remove from the oven and allow them to rest for 15 minutes. Take them to the table and shred the meat off with two forks.