Zesty Roast Spatchcock Poussin
This zesty roast spatchcock poussin recipe is perfect for summer. .
- 1 whole poussin
- 1 lemon
- 2-3 sprigs thyme
- 4 cloves garlic
- 50 g softened butter
- Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons white wine or water
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- Pinch paprika
- Pre heat oven to 200°C / 180°C fan / Gas Mark 6
- Firstly spatchcock the poussin. Place the poussin on a chopping board, breast side down. Using a sharp pair of scissors with the cavity facing you, cut close to each side of the back bone / spine to remove. Discard the bone Turn the poussin over and now push down with your hand or the back of a large life to flatten the bird.
- Place the poussin in a small roasting tray. Rub the olive oil all over and season well with salt and pepper. Put the poussin breast side up and dot the butter on top.
- Cut the lemon in half widthways and thinly slice 4 lemon rings . Put 2 slices on top and 2 underneath. Do the same with the garlic cloves and also scatter 2 sprigs thyme in the tray as well as adding in the remaining lemon half. Pour in the white wine or water Place in the oven and cook for 30-35 mins.
- To double check it is cooked place a skewer into the thickest part of the leg to see if juices run clear.
- If you prefer a crispy skin, remove the lemon slices on top of the bird about half way through cooking.
- When you are ready to eat place the mayonnaise in a ramekin and sprinkle the paprika over the top.
- Serve with the lemon half , the mayonnaise and a fresh sprig thyme.
- A mixed salad and some chips or fresh bread will go well with this delicious dish.