Roast duck with peppercorn sauce
Duck with a delicious, rich cream and peppercorn sauce. Perfect for special occasions.
- 1 Gressingham Duck
- 400ml good quality beef stock
- 200ml double cream
- 100ml red wine
- 50ml brandy
- 2 tbsp of green peppercorns
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp of salt
- Preheat your oven to 200oC, Fan 180oC, Gas Mark 6 and remove all packaging.
- If included, take the giblets out of the body cavity (they're useful for making stock)
- Place on a rack in a roasting tin, prick the skin all over and season
- Roast in the middle of the oven for 40 minutes per kg, plus an extra 10 minutes
- While the duck is cooking, prepare your sauce by adding the brandy and green peppercorns to a pan and heat on a medium heat on the hob. When the brandy flames, carefully add the red wine and reduce by half. Add in the beef stock and bring to the boil, reduce by half. Then add the cream and season with the freshly ground pepper and salt to taste. Sauce can be gently reheated when the duck is ready.
- Rest the duck for 10-20 minutes - this retains more of the juices for a more succulent meat. Carve and enjoy.