BBQ Pulled Duck
If you like pulled pork then you will love this pulled duck with a Tennessee rub recipe. Serve with corn bread and slaw.
- 4 Gressingham duck legs
- 2 onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 50 ml Jack Daniel’s
- 500 ml chicken stock or water
- Tennessee rub
- 6 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 6 tsp grain mustard
- 4 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 3 tsp Worcester sauce
- 8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Pre heat the oven to 160°C, 140°C Fan, Gas Mark 3
- Combine all the ingredients of the Tennessee rub. Set aside.
- Next, take a baking tray and lay the onions across the bottom of the tray. Take the duck legs and generously season both sides with salt. Then take the Tennessee mix and rub into the duck legs, saving a little to sprinkle on at the end.
- Place the duck legs onto the onions and pour in the Jack Daniel’s and stock/water so that it comes halfway up the duck legs. I
- Put the legs in the oven and cook for approx 2 hours or until the meat is very tender (you can check this with a skewer and another thing to note is if the liquid in the tray has evaporated too quickly then you need to add a little more during the cooking process.)
- When the meat is tender remove the tray from the oven and allow to the legs cool a little. With 2 forks scrape and pull the meat from the bone - this should be easy, if not return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes. If you prefer not to eat the skin of the duck remove before shredding.
- When you have taken all the meat off the bone, discard the bones and place the meat onto a board, sprinkle the remaining Tennessee rub over the meat and serve with your favourite slaw and some corn bread. Tuck in!