Red Wine Gravy
We show you how to make a luxurious, rich red wine gravy perfect with roast duck and all the trimmings.
- Giblets from bird
- 1 onion sliced in half
- 1 carrot roughly chopped
- 1 stick celery
- 1 bayleaf
- 6 peppercorns
- 1 1/2 pints water
- 375ml of good red wine
- 1 1/2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 knob butter
- Pinch of salt
To make the stock (this can be done ahead of time)
- Wash the giblets and pace into a large saucepan.
- Add all the vegetables, peppercorns, bayleaf, a pinch of salt and the water. Bring to the boil and then gently simmer for 1 hour while your roast is cooking.
- Strain and reserve the stock.
To make the gravy
- Skim off most of the fat from the roasting tin your meat has been cooking in (you can strain this and use for roast potatoes another time).
- Place the tin over a low to medium heat on the hob and add the butter, sprinkle in the flour and mix well with a whisk.
- Bring up to a simmer then add the wine.
- Add the reserved stock, simmer and allow to reduce until you have the consistency you prefer.
- Season to taste. You can mix in a generous tablespoon of redcurrant jelly if you prefer it sweeter.