Whole roast duck with Cumberland sauce
Traditional roast duck and sauce
- 1 whole Gressingham duck (approx. 2.2 kg )
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 50 ml port
- 150 ml red wine
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1 tsp mustard
- 3 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- Pre heat oven to 200c, 180c fan. Gas mark 6. Calculate the cooking time, the duck will need 40 mins per 1kg plus an additional 10 mins. Remove packaging and giblets. Prick the skin all over and season. Place the duck on a rack within a large roasting tin and put into the oven for the calculated time.
- While the duck is roasting prepare your potatoes (have a look on our website for our recipe), the Cumberland sauce and any other vegetables.
- For the Cumberland sauce use a zester and take off some peel from the orange and lemon and put into a small pan. Squeeze the juice of each over the peel to soak for 15 minutes. Now add all the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil, gently simmer for 10 mins. Take off heat. This sauce can be served warm or cold whichever your preference.
- When cooking time for the duck has been reached take out of the oven and leave to rest somewhere warm for 30 to 45 mins.
- Carve the duck onto warm plates and serve with roast potatoes, the Cumberland sauce and your vegetables.