Oriental Duck Salad
A zingy oriental duck salad that is easy to cook and prepare. Makes a fantastic alternative to more traditional duck dishes.
- 4 Gressingham Duck Breasts
- Salt & Pepper
- 4 crisp baby gems or similar lettuce, shredded.
- 2 Shallots, finely sliced
- 4 Spring onions, cut into thin discs
- 2 Celery Sticks, cut into match sticks
- ½ Cucumber, cut into match sticks
- 1 red & 1 yellow Pepper, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp Fish Sauce
- 2 tbsp Lime juice
- 2 Garlic cloves, peeled & crushed
- 2 Red chillies, de-seeded and finely sliced
- 1 dsp palm sugar (or demerera)
- Roasted Peanuts (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180oC, Fan 160oC, Gas Mark 4.
- Score the fat on each duck breast and season well, place the duck breasts skin side down into a large frying pan, and place on a medium heat (without oil) and cook for about 8 minutes until the fat has rendered out and the skin has gone golden brown and crispy.
- Turn the duck breasts over briefly to seal the flesh side, and then transfer to a roasting dish and place in the oven for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing by adding the fish sauce, lime juice, garlic, chilli and sugar to a small pan and placing over a medium heat stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Leave the duck breasts to rest for 5-10 minutes before carving. Arrange the lettuce, shallots, spring onions, cucumber, celery and peppers onto 4 plates. Lay a carved duck breast on top of each salad and drizzle with the dressing. If using, scatter the roasted peanuts over the plate.