Roast Duck with Bread Sauce & Honeyed Courgettes
A delicious twist to the classic British bread sauce recipe from our friends at Hello Fresh.
- 2x Gressingham Duck Breast
- 1x Sweet Potato (chopped)
- 1 Bunch of Thyme
- 1x Echalion Shallot (chopped)
- 2x Cloves
- 1x Courgette (sliced)
- 189ml Milk
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 20g Panko Breadcrumbs
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees. Chop the sweet potato into 2cm chunks (no need to peel!) and then pick the thyme leaves from their stalks.
- Pop your sweet potato on a lined baking tray, sprinkle over half your thyme leaves and season with a pinch of salt. Add a glug of oil, toss well and then roast in your oven for 20-25 mins. Tip: Make sure they are all in one layer and turn halfway through in order to cook evenly.
- Cut the shallot in half through the root. Peel and chop half your shallot into small chunks. Keep the other half whole and push the pointy end of the cloves into it (this will make it easier to remove them from your bread sauce later).
- Cut the top and bottom off the courgette and slice into rounds 1cm thick. Keep to one side.
- Start making the bread sauce by infusing the milk with your clove studded shallot. Heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add a little oil. Add your chopped shallot and leftover thyme leaves and cook for 5 mins. Pour in the milk (amount specified in the ingredient list) and add your clove studded shallot. Warm your milk until it is steaming then remove from the heat. We will finish your bread sauce later.
- Season each duck breast with a pinch of salt. Put them skin-side down in a frying pan on medium heat. As the heat of the pan melts the duck fat under the skin, drain the fat into a bowl. Continue for 5-7 mins until the skin is golden brown and crispy. Tip: Keep the drained duck fat in your fridge and use it to roast potatoes, delicious!
- Turn your duck over, brown the flesh side and then transfer to the baking tray with your sweet potato. Roast for 7-9 mins if you like your duck pink or 12-15 mins if you like it well done.
- Wipe your frying pan clean with kitchen paper and return to high heat. Cook your courgette for 3-4 mins until nicely browned. Remove the pan from the heat, allow to cool for a few mins, then drizzle in the honey. Coat your courgette in your honey.
- When your duck is ready, allow it to rest on a chopping board whilst you finish your bread sauce. Remove your clove studded shallot from your milk and bring your milk to the boil on medium heat. Mix in the panko breadcrumbs and cook until they have softened and you have a sauce the consistency of porridge. Season with salt and pepper and get ready to plate up!
- Slice each duck breast into five or six slices. Smear a spoonful of bread sauce in the centre of your plate. Pop a layer of courgette on top followed by your roast duck. Arrange your sweet potatoes alongside and drizzle any honey from the pan over and around. Serve your remaining bread sauce on the side. Enjoy!