Roast Duck Crown with Red Wine & Balsamic Sauce
Try our fantastic roast duck crown recipe with seasonal vegetables and a red wine and balasmic sauce.
- 1 Gressingham Duck® crown
- 500g new potatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons duck fat or veg oil
- 2-3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Knob of butter
For the sauce
- 50g sugar
- 75ml balsamic vinegar
- 175ml red wine
- 400ml chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Put the duck fat or veg oil into a roasting tin and place in the preheated oven for 10 mins.
- Remove and put in the potatoes and Rosemary. Season the potatoes well with salt and pepper, toss the potatoes in the fat, add in the butter and return to the oven. Cook for approx 45 mins and then take them out .
- Prepare the duck by patting the crown with absorbent paper and then seasoning inside and out with salt and pepper . Place the crown onto a rack on a roasting tin and place in the oven to roast for 40 mins (cooking times vary depending on weight, please see packaging for more information) until the skin is crisp and golden. Remove from the oven and rest at least 10 mins before serving.
- While the duck and potatoes are cooking prepare the sauce. The sauce can also be prepared in advance and reheated.
- To make the sauce, place all the sauce ingredients, into a pan on a medium heat and reduce by half. Once reduced, turn down to a simmer and then reduce again - you are aiming for a pouring consistency similar to that of double cream-. Once you are happy with the consistency remove the sauce off the heat . Check the seasoning and adjust accordingly. Reheat when you need .
- Use this time while everything is cooking and reducing to prepare and cook your favourite vegetables.
- When you are ready to serve, place the food onto serving dishes and the sauce into a jug. Put everything into the middle of the table so everyone can help themselves to this delicious meal!