Duck katsu burger with pickled cucumber
Katus - done the Gressingham way!
- 1 Gressingham duck breast, skin removed
- 1 egg whisked
- 4 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 300 ml vegetable oil
- 1 small cucumber , skin removed and peeled into ribbons
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Pinch dry chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp light soy
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 2 tsp mild madras
- 1/4 red cabbage, core removed ,finely sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and hearted
- Squeeze of lemon
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- Slice the whole duck breast in half horizontally. Place each half onto a small piece baking parchment. Place another piece of parchment on top and gently hit the duck with a rolling pin until you have an even thickness. Lightly season the duck each side. Lightly season the egg, whisk, and place in a shallow bowl. Put the flour on a tray and season. Spread the breadcrumbs onto another tray.
- Take each duck breast, dredge each one through the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs so they are well coated. Set aside and prepare the salads.
- Pre heat oven to 200c, 180oC fan, gas mark 6
- Combine the rice vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and add in the cucumbers, dry chillies. Allow to cool and add in the sesame seeds. Toss all the slaw ingredients together in a bowl. Mix together the mayonnaise ingredients.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a heavy bottomed high sided pan on a low to medium heat until it reaches 180c. (Use a temperature probe or otherwise put a cube of white bread in the oil until it turns a light golden brown)
- Carefully lower the duck pieces into the oil with a slotted spoon and cook for 3 to 4 mins. Carefully remove with a slotted spoon and place onto kitchen paper. Take the pan off heat. Transfer the duck to a baking tray and place into the oven and roast for another 4 to 5 mins. Remove and place somewhere warm for a few minutes.
- Take the brioche buns and make up your katsu burger.
- Spread a layer of katsu mayonnaise on the bottom brioche layer followed by a little slaw , the katsu duck burger and 2 ribbons of pickled cucumber. Put top bun on to complete. Tuck in.