Duck Breast with Sweet Potato Mash
This simple duck breast dish is perfect as an end of the week treat and proves that cooking with duck is not as difficult as you may think!
- 2 x Gressingham Duck breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 200g sweet potatoes
- A handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- A knob of butter
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into large diced pieces.
- Next, steam or simmer the sweet potatoes until tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking you can prepare the duck by scoring the skin six to eight times with a sharp knife and season on both sides with sea salt.
- Place the duck breasts skin-side down in a pan on a low to medium heat (no oil) and cook for about 6 minutes or until the skin is golden and crisp. Turn the breasts over and quickly seal.
- After pouring off any excess fat put the duck in a roasting tray skin-side down and place in the preheated oven. Cook in a preheated oven (220oC, Fan 200oC, Gas Mark 7) for 10-20 minutes depending on how you like your duck, from rare to well done. Then remove the duck from the oven and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes (this is really important and makes the duck even more succulent).
- While the duck is resting mash the sweet potato with with the butter and nutmeg, and season well. Fold in the chopped coriander.
- Serve with green beans and gravy.