Duck and mushroom stroganoff
A duck version of this favourite recipe.
- 2 Gressingham Duck breasts, skin removed and meat cut into 1 to 2cm strips
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 1 onion, peeled, finely chopped
- 1 pepper, deseeded and cut inot 1cm strips
- 150g chestnut mushrooms
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 200ml creme fraiche or sour cream
- 150ml chicken stock
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan on a high heat. As it starts to smoke put in your duck fillets, season and stir for 30-45 seconds. Take off heat and remove the duck from the pan onto a plate.
- Add a touch more oil to the pan and return to the hob on a low to medium heat. Sweat off the onions until they soften then add the garlic and pepper. Fry off for 5 minutes and then remove all onto another plate.
- Add the butter to the empty pan on the same heat and put in the mushrooms. Generously season with salt and pepper and cook for a further 5 minutes. Pour in the stock and add in the creme fraiche and mustard. Stir, bring up to the boil, add in the onions and peppers, reduce temperature and simmer until the sauce starts to thicken. To finish, now add in the duck strips and stir for 1 minute as you bring the temperature up. Once it bubbles you are ready to serve your stroganoff with either rice or pasta.