- 1 whole turkey 4-4 ½ kg
- 50g softened butter
- ½ pint (300ml) water
- ½ pint (300ml) white wine
- 3 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C, Fan 170°C, Gas Mark 5.
- Remove giblets from the cavity if necessary. Pat the turkey dry with kitchen roll.
- Rub the oil and butter all over the turkey.
- Season the bird inside and out.
- Place the turkey into a large, deep roasting tray and pour in the water and the wine. Cover well but loosely with foil and place into the centre of the pre-heated oven.
- Cook turkeys less than 4kg for 20 minutes per kilo, plus 70 minutes. Cook turkeys more than 4kg for 20 minutes per kilo plus 90 minutes. If stuffing, stuff the neck cavity only and allow 20 minutes extra cooking time per 500g of stuffing.
- Remove the tin foil an hour before the end of cooking time.
- Test if the turkey is cooked by inserting a skewer between the breast and thigh – the juices should run clear. If the juices are still pink, return to the oven for 15 minute intervals until cooked.
- Remove from the oven and cover again with foil. Leave to rest in a warm place and allow to rest, for a minimum of half an hour, but preferably an hour.
- Your turkey is ready to serve.