For the salad
- 200g rice noodles
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced into rings
- 1 ripe mango, diced approx 1cm
- 1 finely diced red pepper
- Small sprig of coriander, leaves removed
- Small sprig of mint, leaves removed
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- Juice of 2 limes, plus a few lime wedges to garnish
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Pre-heat an oven to 220°C, Fan 200°, gas mark 6 then prepare the salad, dressing and noodles. To prepare the dressing combine and mix all of the dressing ingredients in a bowl and set aside. To prepare the salad combine and mix all of the salad ingredients, minus the noodles, lime wedges and coriander, in a bowl and set aside. Then cook the noodles (as per the packet instructions), before plunging into cold water and draining and set aside.
Cooking the duck breast
- Score the skin on the duck breasts six to eight times with a sharp knife and season on both sides with sea salt.
- Place the duck breasts skin-side down in a pan on a low to medium heat (no oil) and cook for about 6 minutes or until the skin is golden and crisp. Turn the breasts over and quickly seal. After pouring off any excess fat put the duck in a roasting tray skin-side down and place in the preheated oven. Cook for 10-20 minutes depending on how you like your duck, from rare to well done.
- Remove the duck from the oven and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Duck breast cooking times: 10 minutes Rare 15 minutes Medium 20 minutes Well done
- All ovens vary in performance, this is a guide only.
Putting everything together
- Set aside two tbsp of dressing (for garnishing later).
- Place the duck breasts and their juices into the remaining dressing and mix. Set aside for five minutes before removing the breasts from the dressing and placing them on a chopping board.
- Take the drained noodles and toss them with a little oil and lightly season.
- Add the dressing and salad and mix well before dividing onto serving plates.
- Finely slice the duck and place on top of the salad. Drizzle the remaining dressing on top and garnish with lime wedges and coriander.