- 2 Gressingham duck legs
- 1 handful of fresh thyme
- sea salt
- 6 carrots, small with stem attached
- 500ml of orange juice
- 8 baby turnips
- 1 dash of port
- 1 dash of red wine
- 200g of baby spinach leaves
- 50g of butter
Turnip pickle and purée
- 2 turnips
- 150g of double cream
- 1 dash of lemon juice
- Prepare the duck by deboning the leg. Season the flesh side of the meat with sea salt and a sprinkle of thyme leaves.
- Place one leg on top of the other and vacuum pack tightly. Alternatively, wrap tightly in a generous portion of cling film to seal.
- Place in a steamer and cook for 40 minutes. Remove from the steamer and allow to cool slightly before gently pan-frying to crisp up the skin and achieve a golden brown colour. Remove and allow to rest for 4 minutes before slicing in half. Set aside to reheat when required.
- Peel the carrots, place into a saucepan and add just enough orange juice to cover. Place the pan on a medium heat and cook the carrots gently until tender - top up the orange juice as you go to ensure they are completely covered during the cooking process.
- Allow the orange to reduce during the last 3-5 minutes of cooking time until it has athick, syrupy consistency. Set aside until required
- Peel the baby turnips, leaving the green tops intact. Place into a small pan with the Port, red wine and a pinch of salt. Cook on a high heat for 4-6 minutes until tender. Remove from the heat and allow to cool in the liquid.
- Use a mandolin to thinly slice 1 large turnip into round discs. Place into a bowl with the juice of 1/2 a lemon and leave to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Cut the remaining turnip into small pieces, heat a saucepan with a little vegetable oil and add the turnip. Sauté for 1 minute then pour in enough water to half submerge the turnips. Cover the pan and cook until soft.
- Remove the lid and reduce the remaining liquid. Add the double cream and bring to the boil. Once boiling, remove from the heat and blend to a purée. Season with salt and return to the pan to reheat when required.
- Reheat the purée and carrots and place the duck leg on a small tray - with a dash of water - into a preheated oven at 180°C/gas mark 4 for 6 minutes.
- For the spinach, place the butter in a large pan. Once it begins to sizzle and foam, add the spinach and cook until it has completely wilted. Season with salt and drain away any excess liquid.
- Divide the hot spinach between 2 plates and place the duck on top. Scatter the carrot and turnips around with a piece of the marinated turnip and few dollops of the purée. Finish with a drizzle of the juices from the oven tray and serve immediately.