Slow-Cooked Duck Legs with Red Wine & Mushroom Sauce recipe
A great winter warmer, this slow roasting dish is bursting with flavour from the rich sauce, which is a great match for the duck. Ready in 90 minutes.
- 2 Gressingham Duck® legs
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small carrot, diced
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 250 ml good red wine
- 450 ml chicken stock
- 1 rasher cured bacon, grilled
- 1 large open mushroom, quartered
- Sprig thyme
- Bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas mark 4. Season the duck legs all over and brown in a hot pan on both sides. Set aside.
- Fry the onion, carrot and garlic until soft, then add the flour and cook for one minute. Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half. Add the stock, thyme and bay leaf.
- Return the duck legs to the pan, skin-side down. Place an oven-proof lid or tin foil over the pan and cook in the oven for one hour or until the meat is tender. Meanwhile, fry the quartered mushroom and bacon and add to the pan in the oven approximately 20 minutes before the end of cooking.
- Delicious served with rice, pasta, mashed potatoes and vegetables.