This traditional recipe makes a great roast. The recipe uses a duck crown which means it's perfect for serving two people. The potatoes are delicious and the red wine sauce is a delicious accompaniment to the duck. Serve with the vegetables of your choice. (Serves 2-3)
Step By Step Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Firstly prepare the potatoes. Mix the cream, garlic and thyme together in a bowl and season with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and a pinch of pepper.
- Butter an oven proof dish and layer half the potatoes. Lightly season and then pour over half the cream mix. Layer the remaining potatoes on top, lightly season again and pour over the remaining cream mix.
- Cover the dish with foil and place in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for a further 30 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Once the potatoes have been placed in the oven it’s time to prepare the duck.
- Pat the duck crown dry with absorbent paper and season inside and outside.
- Place the duck crown on a rack in a roasting tin and roast for 45 minutes or until the skin is crisp and golden. Remove from the oven and set aside to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- While the duck and potatoes are cooking you can prepare the sauce (this can also be done in advance and re heated).
- Place the sugar and red wine vinegar in a pan on a medium heat and reduce until you have a sticky caramel.
- Pour in the wine and the stock and reduce by 2/3 . When you have the consistency you desire, add in the cherries. Taste and if you feel it needs more sweetening, mix in the jam.
- While the duck is resting you can prepare and simply blanche the seasonal greens of your choice.