Pheasant breasts casserole with bacon and apples
Try our delicious pheasant breast casserole with bacon and apples.
- 100g thick sliced back bacon cut into strips
- 2 leeks thinly sliced and washed
- 2 apples, peeled cored and cut into 8 wedges
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 6 pheasant breasts
- 25g flour
- 300 ml of cloudy apple juice
- 300 ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp red currant jelly
- Small bunch of parsley, few sprigs of thyme, 2 bay leaves
- Sea salt & black pepper
- You will need a shallow casserole dish with a lid.
- Heat and add the bacon. Saute, stirring for a few minutes then add the leeks and apples and cook until they are beginning to brown. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the rapeseed in the same pan and fry the pheasant breasts on a high heat quickly, to brown all over. Remove these and add to the bacon, apple and leaks.
- Add the flour to the pan and stir and cook for a minute then slowly add the apple juice, stock and red currant jelly. Bring this to a boil and simmer until thickened.
- Place the pheasant, leeks and apples to the sauce and add the herbs and season well. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 10 minutes until the pheasant is tender. This can rest for 10 minutes before serving.