We show you how to make the perfect gravy to accompany your roast duck and trimmings. (Serves 4)
Step By Step Instructions
To make the stock (this can be done ahead of time):
- Wash the giblets and pace into a large saucepan.
- Add all the vegetables, peppercorns, bayleaf, a pinch of salt and the water. Bring to the boil and then gently simmer for 1 hour while your roast is cooking.
- Strain and reserve the stock.
To make the gravy:
- Skim off most of the fat from the roasting tin your meat has been cooking in (you can strain this and use for roast potatoes another time).
- Place the tin over a low to medium heat on the hob and add the butter, sprinkle in the flour and mix well with a whisk.
- Bring up to a simmer then add the wine.
- Add the reserved stock, simmer and allow to reduce until you have the consistency you prefer.
- Season to taste. You can mix in a generous tablespoon of redcurrant jelly if you prefer it sweeter.