Mushroom sauce with venison steaks
Our delicious Venison steaks go perfectly with Mushroom sauce
- 30g dried mixed mushrooms
- 250g chestnut mushrooms thinly sliced
- 4 venison steaks
- A few sprigs of thyme and 2 bay leaves
- 30g butter
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 shallot finely diced
- 2 tbsp of Madeira
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 300 ml of double cream
- Take the venison steaks out of the fridge a good hour before you want to cook them to bring them up to room temperature. Take them out of the packaging and pop them into a bowl with the thyme and bay leaves. Set aside.
- Soak the dried mushrooms in 100ml of boiling water for 10 minutes until soft. Drain over a bowl to catch the liquid and reserve.
- When you are ready to cook the steaks, season well with sea salt and black pepper. Heat the butter and oil in a non stick pan until very hot. Cook the steaks for about 3 minutes each side then remove and set aside.
- In the same pan sauté the shallots until soft and transparent then add both the soaked and fresh mushrooms and cook until they are soft and slightly browned. Add the Madeira and the liquid from the soaked mushrooms, balsamic vinegar and the cream. Simmer to make a thick sauce. Put the steaks and their juices back into the pan and simmer for 5 minutes and serve.