Hot smoked duck breast with chilli jam recipe
This smoky duck breast is glazed with chilli jam for a spicy, sweet finish that hits all parts of the palate with vibrant delight. The chilli glazed chestnuts, roasted squash and metallic black kale seasoned with sea salt flakes work incredibly well together. It’s a warming rustic salad perfect for the last days of autumnal al fresco dining and a chilled glass of cider. Recipe from James Strawbridge – Chef, Author & Photographer @jgstrawbridge
Hot Smoked duck
- 4 Gressingham duck breasts
- 2 tbsp Cornish Sea Salt flakes
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp pink peppercorns
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 4 tbsp The Cherry Tree Chilli Jam
- Splash of cider [optional]
- Apple wood chunks for smoking
- 1 butternut squash, hasselback
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6-8 cavalo nero leaves
- 150g cooked chestnuts
- 25g butter
- 2 tbsp The Cherry Tree Chilli Jam
- Pinch of Cornish Sea Salt flakes
For the smoked duck
- Start by curing the duck breasts in a mixture of salt, sugar, spices and orange. Rub into the breasts and leave for 1-2 hours in the fridge.
- Wash off the cure under cold running water and pat dry. Then Preheat a BBQ smoker to 150˚C and add chunks of apple wood to generate smoke.
- Place the duck skin side down over your charcoal grill and allow to hot smoke for 10-15 mins. Glaze regularly with The Cherry Tree Chilli Jam and remove from the smoker to rest once cooked. Carve thinly and serve with a pinch of Cornish sea salt flakes
For the hot salad
- Heat oven to 180°C and roast your butternut squash with a pinch of salt and drizzle of olive oil for 45 mins.
- Wilt the black kale in a pan with a little water for 3-4 mins and season with sea salt flakes.
- For the chestnuts glaze in a small frying pan with a knob of butter and a big tablespoon of The Cherry Tree Chilli Jam
- Carve and season your chilli glazed duck with sea salt and slice your roasted squash. Serve with extra The Cherry Tree Chilli Jam at the table