- 1 whole Gressingham duck
- 2 tbsp Chinese five spice
- 1 tbsp Szechuan peppercorns, crushed
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 thumbs root ginger, crushed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 spring onions, washed and finely sliced
- 1 small cucumber, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 200 ml hoi sin dipping sauce
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 18 Chinese pancakes
- Pre heat oven to 180c 160c fan, gas mark 4
- Remove the duck from its packaging, pat dry and if there are any giblets in the cavity remove them. Put the ginger and garlic in the cavity. Mix the five spice, Szechuan peppercorns and salt together. Rub this into the skin covering parts all over and sprinkle a little inside.
- Transfer into a deep sided roasting tray and place into the oven. Cook for 1 hour 40 mins, basting the duck 3 or 4 times with its juices during the cooking process. If the duck is not tender at this point, keep roasting but check every 15 mins. Remove the duck from the oven and leave to rest somewhere warm for 15 mins.
- Place the duck onto a platter and shred the meat off the bones with 2 forks. Surround with all the garnishes, heat the pancakes as per instructions and help yourselves to this delicious dish.