Duck with Beetroot
The combination of beetroot with rich duck makes a striking main course worth sharing with family and friends.
- 4 Gressingham duck breasts
- 4 medium size raw beetroot
- 1 small butternut squash ( peeled, deseeded and cut into wedges )
- 1 whole bulb of garlic ( cut in half )
- 1 bag washed baby spinach
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 10gr unsalted butter
- salt & pepper
- Place the beetroot in a pan with cold water and place on to a medium heat. Cook for approx. 45 mins until tender, test by piercing with the tip of a sharp knife, the knife should go in easily but with a slight resistance. Drain and allow to cool.
- Rub or peel off the skin and cut in quarters. Place in an oven proof dish and mix with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper, and bake for 10 mins at 180°C. While the beetroot was boiling you can also put the butternut squash wedges into an oven proof dish and add the thyme, the 2 halves of garlic, 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Cook for approx 30 mins until tender. Again test with the tip of a sharp knife.
- Meanwhile prepare the duck. Pat the skin of the duck breast with a kitchen towel to remove excess moisture, score the skin and season with salt and pepper. Place the breasts skin side down in a cold non-stick pan on a low to medium heat without oil for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Pour off the fat regularly and seal the other side for 30 seconds.
- Place the breasts skin side up on a rack in a roasting tin in the middle of the oven at 220°C / Fan 200°C / Gas Mark 7, 10 min rare, 15min medium, 18 min well done when the duck is cooked rest the meat in a warm place for 10 min before serving.
- When all of the above is ready you have only the spinach left to prepare. This is very quick.
- Place a large frying pan onto a low to medium heat. Put in the butter and when it starts to lightly sizzle add in the spinach, season with salt and pepper and cook lightly for a couple of minutes until the spinach has wilted.
- Arrange all the vegetables between 4 plates, slice the duck lengthways and place on the vegetables, pour over all the juices remaining on the cutting board on top of each breast. Enjoy!