Duck Breasts with Fried Egg & Potatoes recipe
This recipe is perfect as brunch. It’s a divine twist on ham, egg and chips! Our recipe features duck steaks, fried duck eggs and spinach. It’s our brunch special.
- 2 Gressingham Duck breasts - skin removed
- 3 large potatoes - peeled and quartered
- 4 duck eggs
- 200 g spinach - washed and large stalks removed
- 1/2 bulb garlic
- 300ml veg oil
- Sprig rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- 25g butter
- Pre heat oven to 200c. Lay the breasts out on a chopping board and with a sharp knife carefully slice horizontally across the middle of each breast to create 4 'steaks'. Rub a little oil onto both sides and also season with salt. Set aside.
- Place the potatoes in a pan of slightly salted cold water, place on a high heat and cook for approx. 20 mins. Drain the potatoes, leave to steam for 5 mins.
- Put 200ml of vegtable oil or duck fat into a small deep sided roasting tray. Place in the oven for 10 mins until the oil is hot. Remove from the oven and carefully place the potatoes, the garlic and the Rosemary into the tray. Lightly season and return to the oven for approx 15 mins or until they are crispy and golden in colour.
- When they are ready, take out of the oven and gently remove the potatoes with a slotted spoon. Pour oil into a container, put potatoes back in the tray and back in the oven to keep warm - turn the oven down to 120c.
- Place a large frying pan onto a high heat . Pour in enough oil (approx. 50ml) to coat the base of the pan. When the pan starts to smoke, place in the duck steaks and sear for 1 min. Turn the steak over and sear for another minute. This will produce a medium rare steak, cook for longer if that is your preference. Once you are done, put the butter in, add the spinach and allow to wilt. Take the pan off the heat and set aside in a warm place.
- Put a non stick frying pan on a low to medium heat and add 125ml oil. When the oil is starting to warm crack the eggs one by one into a cup then carefully place in the oil . Gently fry , occasionally spooning a little oil over the yolk and cook for about 4 mins if you like a runny yolk. Once the eggs are cooked to your satisfaction divide everything between 4 plates and serve.