Duck Breast with Honey & Caraway
An audacious beetroot and grapefruit salad is served up alongside a honey and caraway flavoured duck breast in this delicious dish from Bruno Lambert. Recipe courtesy of www.greatbritishchefs.com. Ready in 45 minutes.
- 2 200g duck breasts
- Salt and pepper
- ½ tbsp caraway seeds
- 150g baby beetroot
- 75ml brown chicken jus
- 1 ½ tbsp honey
- 1½ tbsp tarragon vinegar
- 1 pink grapefruits segmented
- ½ handful of young flat parsley picked
- ½ red onion sliced finely
- ½ cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ tbsp walnut oil
- Cook the seasoned duck on the skin side first. When the skin is dark and golden in colour, add a dash of honey and caraway seeds, turn on the flesh side to finish the cooking. When the glaze is thick, roll the breast in jus to coat them all around.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Bake the beetroot wrapped in foil until soft in the middle, approximately 30 min. Peel the beetroots, then cut to an even shape trimming them with a knife.
- Process the trimmings in a food processor to get a puree, then place in a mousseline cloth and then in a colander with a small plate over it and then topped with a weight. After 15 minutes pour the juice into a small saucepan to reduce by half and then add the chicken jus, honey and the tarragon vinegar.
- Grapefruit salad:
- Cut the beets into quarters and place them in a mixing bowl with the onions, garlic and parsley, then dress with the balsamic, olive oil, walnut oil and seasoning.
- Arrange the beetroots onto plates. Cut the duck in thick slices and arrange over the beetroot with the grapefruits between. Spoon the sauce from the pan over; finish with micro celery or simply celery leaves.