Whole Duck with Hoisin & Five Spice
This goes well with pancakes and it also works with half duck, just simply halve the recipe ingredients.
- 1 whole Gressingham duck
For the duck stock
- 1/4 pint dry sherry
- 5 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 thumbs root ginger ( sliced )
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons hoi sin sauce
- 3 crushed cloves garlic
- 1 dessert spoon Chinese 5 spice
For the noodles
- 250 g egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 2 spring onions , finely sliced
- 1 clove garlic , finely chopped
- Half a red pepper - finely chopped
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
For the garnish
- 1 cucumber - peeled into ribbons
- 2 Spring onions - finely sliced
- Pre heat oven to 180c
- Remove the whole duck from the packaging, pat dry and if there are giblets in the cavity then remove them.
- Place the whole duck into a large pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and cook for approx. 20 mins. Carefully remove and place into a large deep sided roasting tray. Take out approx. 1 pint of the cooking liquid and mix with the remaining duck stock ingredients. Ladle this stock over the duck and into the roasting tray.
- Loosely cover with foil and place in the oven. Cook for 1 hour and a half , turning the duck and basting every 30 mins. If you find the duck is not tender at this point, cook for a further 15 mins and check.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest while you prepare the noodles.
- Place a pan of water on to boil and then add the egg noodles to cook for 4 mins ( check packet instructions) . Drain and set aside.
- Place a wok or non-stick frying pan onto a medium to high heat and add in the sesame oil . Put in the red pepper , the Spring onions and the garlic. Quickly stir fry for 20 seconds then add in the noodles. Stir fry again for 30 seconds, season with the salt and pepper then add in the soy sauce. Fry again for 2 mins. You are now ready to serve.
- Remove the duck for tray and place into a platter and garnish with the noodles and the extra spring onion and cucumber.
- Shred the duck with 2 forks and help yourselves to this delicious Oriental duck.
- This goes well with pancakes and it also works with half ducks, simply halve the recipe ingredients.