Duck au Vin
Gressingham Duck's version of the French classic coq au vin.
- 4 duck legs
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 50g butter
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced 1cm cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Bottle of red wine
- Bunch thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- 100g smoked bacon lardons
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- Heat a casserole pan with a little oil.
- Toss the duck legs in the flour and fry on either side in the pan until golden brown, then remove.
- Add the butter to the casserole pan with the onion, garlic, carrots, bacon and mushrooms and gently fry for 3-4 minutes whilst scraping the bottoms of the pan with a wooden spoon to remove any crusty bits from the duck legs.
- Add the red wine, herbs and duck legs, bring the liquid to the boil and then season with salt & pepper.
- Place a lid on the casserole and then place in the oven at 180C for 1 hour 20 mins.
- Remove from the oven, skim off any excess fat and serve with creamy mash and greens!