Crispy Duck BBQ Spring Rolls
Great British Chef Andy Waters gives these duck spring rolls a lift with a punchy BBQ sauce. Recipe courtesy www.greatbritishchefs.com.
Spring roll filling
- 2 duck breasts, thinly sliced
- 3 tsp of sesame oil
- 250g of peppers, mixed, de-seeded and finely sliced
- 1 carrot, finely sliced
- 2 small red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tsp of root ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp of soy sauce
- 75g of mangetout, thinly sliced
- 175g of beansprouts
- 25g of sesame seeds
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1 orange, zest and juice
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 200g of peppers, de-seeded and finely diced
- 25g of sesame seeds
- 25g of cayenne pepper
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- 4 shallots, small dice
- 20g of honey
- 2 tbsp of red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- 275ml of chicken stock
- 4 spring roll sheets
- 1 egg, beaten
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Start with the barbecue sauce. Heat the olive oil in a wok and add peppers, sesame seeds, shallots, cayenne and chilli. Cover and sweat over a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Next, add the honey, red wine vinegar, balsamic and chicken stock and bring to the boil. Gently simmer until reduced by half and remove from heat. Transfer to a jug and keep warm.
- Start the filling by cleaning and drying the wok. Place on a medium to light heat and add the duck. When the fat starts to render, remove the duck from the wok with a slotted spoon and wipe the wok clean.
- Heat the sesame oil in the wok and add the peppers, carrot, chilli, grated ginger and soy sauce. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add the garlic, mangetout, beansprouts, sesame seeds, citrus zest and juice and heat until the duck is cooked through. Combine well and transfer into a bowl, wipe the wok clean.
- Heat the deep fryer or large pot of oil to 180°C.
- Lightly brush the spring roll wrappers with the beaten egg. Spoon the stir-fried mixture into the centre of each one and roll up, tucking in the ends before you make the final layer .
- Deep-fry the spring rolls until golden brown, remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen roll. Serve immediately with the barbecue sauce.