Asian Duck à l’Orange recipe
Our friends at Hello Fresh deliver the exact fresh ingredients you need in the exact quantities you require to make delicious recipes. They created this fantastic recipe for their customers and were kind enough to share it with us.
Hello Fresh said their inspiration came from their customers who love the classic dishes of their childhood, whilst their thrill seeker customers liked to try out. They came up with recipe to tick both culinary boxes by creating an old favourite with a little Oriental twist.
- 2 duck breasts
- 1 orange
- 1 lemongrass stick
- 1 bok choi, shredded
- 1 red chilli, diced
- 1 star anise
- 175g brown rice
- ½ tbsp fresh ginger diced
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- Boil a large pot of water with ½ tsp of salt. Rinse the brown rice under running water for 30 seconds. Tip the rice into the boiling water and boil for around 25 mins. Drain the rice thoroughly and rinse with cold water to cool.
- Cut slices across the duck skin with a sharp knife. Grate the zest of half the orange (don’t grate into the bitter white part). Rub the zest onto the skin of the breasts along with a pinch of salt. The more you cut into the skin, the easier it is for the fat to be released.
- Segment the orange by cutting off the top and bottom. Cut off the remaining skin and pith (following the shape of the orange). Finally, over a bowl cut out the segments of fruit by cutting in between the membranes. Squeeze the leftover core of the orange into the bowl to collect its juice.
- Cut the bok choi in half lengthways and then shred widthways. Finely dice the chilli. Cut the base off the lemon grass and discard the outer leaves, chop very, very finely. Finely dice the garlic and peel and finely dice the ginger.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees. Lay the duck breasts in a cold frying pan skin side down. Cook on a medium-low heat for about 8 mins or until the fat is crisp and golden. Transfer to a baking dish skin side up and cook for 5 mins on the top shelf of your oven.
- Remove all but 1 tbsp of the duck fat from the frying pan & put on high heat. Add the garlic and bok choi & fry over for 2-3 mins with ¼ tsp of salt. Add the rice to the pan and fry off for a few minutes.
- Heat ½ tbsp of oil in a pan and fry off as much chilli as you dare, the ginger, star anise and 1 tsp lemongrass and cook over a med heat for 5 mins. Add the orange juice, 2 tbsp water, 1 tsp sugar, ½ the orange segments and cook for 2-3mins. Add the remaining orange segments & warm through for another minute. Then serve with the duck piled on the rice and orange sauce on top!