Unfortunately due to the Avian Influenza epidemic there will be no fresh Gressingham Geese available this year.
Preparation & Usage
- After thoroughly defrosting the goose in the refrigerator preheat your oven to 180ºC, Fan 160ºc, Gas Mark 4.
- Remove all the packaging.
- Take the giblets out of the body cavity (they're useful for making stock).
- Weigh the goose without the giblets. It's important to do this - don't just use the weight on the bag as this includes the giblets.
- Place on a rack in a large roasting tin then prick the skin all over with a fork and rub a teaspoon of salt into the skin.
- Cover loosely with foil and place in the middle of the preheated oven.
- Roast the goose for 30 minutes per 1kg.
- Carefully pour off the goose fat occasionally. This can be kept to make crispy roast potatoes.
- Remove the foil for the last 30 minutes cook time then remove the goose from the oven, check the juices run clear when pierced with a fork or skewer. If the juices do not run clear return to over for a further 15 minutes and check juices again.
- When the goose is cooked remove from the oven and rest for 20 minutes before carving.
|Per 125g serving
|of which Saturates
|of which Sugars