Reporting To: Head of Technical
To support the technical department and Quality in the production environment. The technical manager ensures product safety/quality/legality through the continuous development of the HACCP and quality systems.
General performance will be measured in line with the company appraisal system. A number of performance objectives will be discussed and measured on a regular basis.
Technical Manager to be the customer facing technical contact for our retailers, B2B and Wholesale on a day-to-day basis.
Primary technical contact for all customer categories during development, production and improvement of products, processes and policies; ensuring customer philosophies and requirements are represented.
Develop a strong interpersonal relationship with key customers through regular contact and provide technical support to internal departments during the development, launch and on-going improvement of products.
Support and mentoring the Quality team.
Provision of excellent technical support for retailers.
To ensure technical, specification or legislative information is provided to customers in a timely manner.
- Evaluation of products during development stage to ensure adherence to customer protocols, standards and factory capabilities.
- Management of customer visits, audits and trials from a technical perspective.
- Working with site technical team to ensure technical standards are implemented and achieved at all times.
- Support of wider technical team regarding safety, quality and welfare matters.
- Report all necessary matters to the Head of Technical ensuring that he/she is fully aware of relevant production, personnel, quality and OV issues.
- To facilitate change in pursuance of improved business practise, where appropriate.
- To ensure that all relevant information regarding changes, amendments to the Quality Manuals, customer product specifications, working practises and or legislation requirements are communicated to all relevant staff.
- To carry out Internal audits to check procedures and policies.
- Ensure that the department’s personal hygiene, housekeeping, health & safety and welfare levels are maintained to a high standard at all times.
- To visit, liaise and inspect supplier facilities and supply chains.
Reporting to the Head of Technical, the Technical Manager is the customer facing technical contact for retailers, B2B and Wholesale and a support for the Quality & Technical activities on a day-to-day basis. He/she is also responsible for ensuring the Health & Safety and welfare of colleagues working on the shop floor within his/her area.
Key Working Relationships
Internal All colleagues at all levels, both on site and other Gressingham sites
External Customers at all levels and suppliers.
Several years’ experience in a production and technical environment. Ability to highlight potential amongst colleagues and develop, in conjunction with personnel, to ensure succession planning is in place. Experience in QA, HACCP, Food Safety and Allergen Management. Experience in customer specification systems. Technical experience in animal welfare, and chilled meat and poultry processing.
Ability to execute and implement change as necessary to ensure continued profitability of the department. Knowledge of retailer codes of practice and standard. Experience in a customer facing technical role,
Higher qualification/degree in food science/microbiology/science (preferred)
HACCP level 3 (Level4 preferred)
Internal auditing training
Third-party auditor training
Skills: People management skills
Excellent interpersonal skills
Problem solving skills
The job holder may be required at any time to perform any reasonable task outside the general provisions of this job description in pursuance of Good Company practise and need. The role is based in East Anglia, working across 2 sites. Whilst normal office hours apply, the role will involve regular travel to retailers so flexibility will be necessary. In addition, as required by the business, flexibility in working hours will be required to assist with audits and visits. Some weekend working during our peak season will also be required. The role is paying a competitive salary, plus benefits and a company pension scheme.
If you are interested in apply, or for further information, please contact HR on 01473 734230 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign up and get your free recipe booklet
Download your free recipe book to get access to a host of deliciously flavoured recipes and a world of global cuisine.