Sauces for duck
Duck is so versatile and can be paired with many different flavours and types of cuisines. We have put together a selection of our favourite sauces that can be paired with duck breast, duck legs or whole roast duck. All of the sauces can be made in advance and reheated when ready to serve the duck.
Cherry and Red Wine Sauce
- 12 pitted cherries
- 50g caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 400ml chicken stock
- 175ml glass of red wine
- Teaspoon cherry or redcurrant jam (optional)
- Place the sugar and red wine vinegar in a pan on a medium heat and reduce until you have a sticky caramel.
- Pour in the wine and the stock and reduce by 2/3 .
- When you have the consistency you desire, add in the cherries.
- Taste and if it requires more sweetness, mix in the jam.
- Zest and juice of 1 one large orange or two small oranges
- 150ml of pineapple juice
- ½ a chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of white sugar
- 1 teaspoon of corn flour mixed with water to make a paste
- 4 orange segments
- 1 table spoon of flat leaf parsley roughly chopped
- Place the oranges, pineapple juice, chilli and sugar in a pan.
- Bring to the boil and reduce by a third.
- Stir in the corn flour.
- Simmer for 5 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Mix in the parsley.
- Serve with your cooked duck, garnish with orange segments.
- 2-3 plums, stoned and roughly chopped
- 100ml red wine
- 1/2 star anise (optional)
- 300ml beef stock
- 2-3 dessert spoons of plum jam
- Place a pan on a high heat with a dessert spoon of vegetable oil, when hot add in the plums and cook until coloured and slightly softened (approx 2 minutes).
- Pour in the wine and star anise (if using) and reduce by 1/3.
- Add in the stock and jam, mix in and simmer for 10 mins.
- When the 10 minutes are up, set the sauce aside in a warm place until the duck is ready. If the sauce is too thin, mix a small teaspoon of corn flour with a little cold water and stir into the sauce.
Sign up and get your free recipe booklet
Download your free recipe book to get access to a host of deliciously flavoured recipes and a world of global cuisine.